Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 05:05:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, andy0383@twcny.rr.com, "cjclark@home.com" <cjclark@home.com>
Subject:   RE: Block port 21?

On 24-Aug-99 Christopher Michaels wrote:
> Is ftpd complied with the tcp wrappers?  And if so, could he just
> put allow and deny rules in his /etc/hosts.allow and
> /etc/hosts.deny files.
>
> On a similar note, can someone explain to me exactly how these
> work, am I supposed to have one or both?

Hmm.  It depends.  In the latest STABLE sources, I see that
/etc/hosts.deny has been deprecated.  ALL rules should go into
/etc/hosts.allow now.

Of course, YMMV, depending on which version of FreeBSD you're running.

> Because I couldn't get my machine to deny service to anything not
> in hosts.allow until I explicitly denied access to everything in
> hosts.deny.

The rules work on a "first match wins" basis.  So, if you have a rule
that allows access before one that denies it to a host you want to
block, the host will be allowed anyway.

If you want to block anything, do be sure not to enable the rule at
the top of hosts.allow:

ALL : ALL : allow

This will cause anything that comes later to be ignored.

E-Mail: Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>