Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 10:42:09 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mail sending problem (how can this happen?)

On a 2.1R system it just happened to me that after sending
a mail which I typed in interactively by typing

   gil>mail -c <user@host_on_local_ethernet> <alias_for_two_other_users>
   Subject:<some_subject>
   <message_text>
   .
   gil> queuename: Cannot create "qfKAA28419" in "/var/spool/mqueue"
        (euid=107): Permission denied

How can this happen. Writing the mail a second time in the same
manner worked ok.

Could this be a race condition with incoming mail?

In this context another question: A colleague had run in 'political'
difficulties in his working group where he got attacked of not having
informed some other group members about a certain fact. He was sure
he sent them a mail but the receiver claimed he never got the mail.
I looked into /var/log/maillog and found that sendmail logged Sent
(ok) or something.  Is this the absolute proof that the message had
been delivered correctly to the receiving system? (The sending system
is a 2.1R FreeBSD, the receiving system some other - SGI).