Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:02:48 -0500
From:      Luc Morin <luc_m@videotron.ca>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "make upgrade" for ports

Hi,

Before starting a project of my own, I want to make sure there's not
already an ongoing effort of the same nature.

What I intend to do is add a mechanism that will let you upgrade a port,
even if other packages rely on it. Right now, one has to do a pkg_delete
-f every time he wants to upgrade a port, but this breaks dependencies.

I'd like to be able to type "make upgrade" in a ports directory, and
have make upgrade it if a newer version is available, along with all
other ports on which it relies if those have newer versions as well.
Then all the dependencies would be rebuilt so that pkg_info -a will
report them correctly.

If anyone is working on such a project, I'd be interested to help. If
not, I'd like to get some more detailed information on the
ports/pkg_add/pkg_delete mechanism so I can start on it.

Thank you very much.

Luc Morin    <luc_m@videotron.ca>
Electrical Engineering Technologist