Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:22:39 +0900
From:      Kazuaki Oda <kaakun@highway.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   carp backup host replies to arp-request

Hi list,

I have set up 2 routers with FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.  They are using carp
interfaces, so one is a master router and another is a backup.
They seemed to work fine, but a few days later I noticed that not only
master router but also backup router replies to arp-requests of the
common IP address from a layer 3 switch.  This behavior confuses the
switch, and sometimes it makes the switch to send a packet addressed
to the common IP address to the port which is connected to backup router.
I googled and found that OpenBSD fixed this problem in ip_carp.c 1.62.
I hope that someone import this into FreeBSD...

Kazuaki Oda