Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:12:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        evan@sutv.wgtn.com (Evan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and dns

Evan Brown wrote,
> Hi, i am running a 3.4 machine with ipfw and natd set up..
> everything is working fine. the problem i am having is when i do a client
> setup for the firewall

I think what we have here is big misunderstanding. Am I to take it you
are trying to run "client" firewalls on the machines behind this
IPFW-NAT box? The client firewall is meant to protect a machine that
is naked on the net. Running a client firewall inside of a firewalled
network might be a good idea if your outer firewall is swiss cheese,
but in general, that outer one is there to allow the inner machines to
run naked on the local net.

> in rc.conf
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="client"
>
> in rc.firewall i have
>
> (under the client area)
>
> net="192.168.0.0"
> mask="255.255.255.0"
> ip="209.172.xxx.xxx"

Huh? Your machine is not on its own local network?