Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 17:55:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        Julian.H.Stacey@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 2p

> - We are not discussing a `networked laser' as far as I know.

I realise that. I thought I'd qualified my comment sufficiently... the
real problem I was getting at is not the exact one addressed, but rather
that if you specify a remote printer the BSD spooler will not run any
filters you put in the printcap entry. This means if you *are* using a
networked laser there is no place to put that "ESC & k 2 G" string unless
you do a hack with two print queues, the first of which runs a filter that
resubmits to the second queue pointing to the remote system.

Several companies are now selling laser printers or printer servers that are
not significantly programmable but can be simply connected to the network
and speak the BSD printer protocol. If you have one of these that's pretty
much what you have to do. It turns out that for the HP version of this they
set up two remote printer names, "raw" and "text", with the "text" printer
effectively doing "ESC & k 2 G" for you.

> I feel one of us is missing the point (& I'm not sure who),
> perhaps we're talking at cross purposes ?

My purpose is to let people who might be setting up an HP printer with
a recent jetdirect card and talking to it from a BSD box know that you
don't need to go through this rigamarole any more.