Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:59:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

On Tuesday, 15 February 2000 at  3:40:58 -0600, Joe Greco wrote:
> So I wanted to vinum my new 1.9TB of disks together just for chuckles, and
> it went OK up to the newfs..
>
> S play.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         46 GB
> S play.p0.s1            State: up       PO:       32 MB Size:         46 GB
> <snip>
> S play.p0.s37           State: up       PO:     1184 MB Size:         46 GB

Well, it's a pity you weren't able to newfs it, but I'm glad to see
that Vinum could do it.  I'm not sure that striping buys you anything
here, though, and a 32 MB stripe is going to be worse than
concatenation: you'll have *all* your superblocks on the same disk!

> Just thought I'd mention it.  I'm putting the machine into
> production, with the smaller filesystems that I originally intended,
> but it seemed noteworthy to pass this along.

JOOI, how big are the file systems?  Why did you choose this size?

> Dunno how many terabyte filesystem folks are out there.

None, by the looks of it.

Greg