Date:      Thu, 15 May 2014 10:19:42 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Nagy =?iso-8859-1?Q?L=E1szl=F3?= Zsolt <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng messed up

Nagy L=E1szl=F3 Zsolt <gandalf@shopzeus.com> writes:

> I had to upgrade a system that was abandoned for a year or so. I could
> do a binary upgrade on the base system from 9.1 to 9.2. Next step was
> to update the ports tree and go over /usr/ports/UPDATING. While
> processing UPDATING, I have installed pkgng (as suggested). Now, if I
> issue a "pkg upgrade" command I get hundreds of conflict messages like
> this:
>
> Checking integrity...pkg: WARNING: locally installed perl-5.12.4_4
> conflicts on /usr/local/bin/a2p with:
>         - perl5-5.16.3_9
>
> I'm not sure what to do with these.

You missed instructions on how to move to a newer perl. Major-version
moves on perl have always required some manual intervention. The entry
of 20140214 will tell you what to do.

>                                     The strangest thing is that none
> of them are installed:
>
> root@backup:~ # perl -version
> This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 4 (v5.14.4) built for amd64-freebsd

This tells you that 5.14 is installed, but doesn't tell you what *isn't*
installed. Something like "pkg info | grep perl-" may be more what you want.

> I cannot remove these with old package programs:
>
> root@backup:~ # pkg_delete perl-5.12.4_4
> pkg_delete: no such package 'perl-5.12.4_4' installed

Well, sure; once you move to pkgng, the old tools don't work.=20
The pkgng equivalent would be "pkg delete". See the "man pkg-delete".

> Perl 5.12 is not in the ports tree anymore, so cannot delete with
> "make deinstall".
>
> There are  hundreds of similar messages for postgresql too:
>
> pkg: WARNING: locally installed postgresql93-client-9.3.4 conflicts on
> /usr/local/bin/droplang with:
>         - postgresql90-client-9.0.17
>
> Actually, postgresql client is not installed on this machine at all.

I severely doubt that.

> Command exists with error code. I cannot read the actual error message
> because there are so many warnings that I cannot scroll back. :-(

There's a very long-standing Unix command for this: script(1).

> Can you please help me? Where to start?

You're going to have to update pretty much everything anyway, so
deleting all (or most) of your ports and reinstalling isn't going to
cost you much time. But I think if you get a little more comfortable
with the pkgng tools, you will begin to have more success.

Good luck.