Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 96 8:35:18 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        pst@cisco.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Another Pentium gcc patch, -D__FreeBSD__=2 -Dbsd4_4

> I don't think our current gcc defines bsd4_4, I'm certain it shouldn't. :-)
> There's a well defined way to find out what version of the OS you're running
> under.
>
> #ifdef _HAVE_PARAM_H
> #include <sys/param.h>
> #endif
>
> #if defined(BSD) && (BSD >= datecode)
> #endif
>
> This gives us much finer grained control.

How does this distinguish between BSD/OS, NetBSD and FreeBSD?  How
does it distinguish between FreeBSD 2.1 and FreeBSD 2.2?  What this
really tells you is what version of the compiler or header files you
have.

I think that the gcc *should* define bsd4_4 (or similar).  There's
plenty of software out there which doesn't care which 4.4BSD-derived
system you're running, and this would help, just like __386bsd__ used
to be useful.

Greg