Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>
Cc:        Christer Hermansson <mail@chdev.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Most compatible modem

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Don wrote:

> > The modem I planning to purchase should be a internal, V90-compliant and
> > support both FreeBSD and NT.
> Why do you want to use an internal modem? Setting them up under any os is
> a pain in the rear especially if you dont have a lot of free IRQ's.

  Externel modems still require an IRQ for the port you plug it into.

> Figuring out onto what com port, irq, and dma they have decided to dump
> them selves on is pain.

  If the modem has jumpers, this is easy.  If not, it is probably PnP and
should happen automatically.  Also UARTS don't use DMA.

                       Resetting them if they hang or die means rebooting
> the system. An external modem has none of these failings. It resides on
> whatever com port you attach it to. It is easily reset. There is nothing
> to figure out (such as irq's on a windows box). Not to mention that volume
> control and status lights on the modem can be such a blessing if things
> are not working right for some reason.
> As for a particular brand of modem. I have never had a problem with US
> Robotics (now 3com) or Motorola modems.

  Motorola is not very serious about modems, and wants to get out of that
business.  It shows.  New modem firmware is released very slowly.

  The new Zoom dual-mode external modems are cheap and good.

> -Don

Tom