Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:02:16 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mouse dead on FreeBSD but not on Windows

Hi!

I've a dual boot machine, which was running FreeBSD-5.4 (now
6.0p1) and WinXP. It has a cheap PS/2 mouse (Biswal is the
brand, but I guess it's just a generic mouse, details at the
bottom).

In Windows it works flawlessly ... wheel included. It's been
running for months. In FreeBSD it never worked. I don't know
if I'm doing something wrong ... this machine is the first
box in which I installed 5.x so perhaps there are some
configuration differences from 4.x tham I'm unaware of?

Any help would be appreciated (of course I can go buy
another cheap mouse ... but I'm intrigued now).

The details:

dmesg says:
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: [GIANT LOCKED]
psm0: model Intellimouse, device ID 3

moused says:
moused -i all -p /dev/psm0
/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse Intellimouse

I've tried to run 'vidcontrol -m on' and then 'moused -p
/dev/psm0 -t auto/sysmouse' and I never get an arrow on the
screen.

I've got X installed with gnome and when booting I always
get a black arrow in the xdm login screen that I cannot move
with the mouse. I also tried to tweak my Xorg.conf file to
no avail.

My custom kernel has the following (I quote what I guess
it's relevant, do ask for more detail if neccessary):
device	atkbdc
device	atkbd
device	psm

I just cvsuped against RELENG_6_0 and rebuilt the world and
kernel. All the base system is now 6.0p1, and now I need to
rebuild all ports ... but apart from that the mouse is still
dead on FreeBSD.

Again thanks for any help,

fernan