Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:51:34 -0700
From:      Laura Blake <lblake@ican.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need a little help deciding...

Dear Sirs,
I am presently contemplating a change of operating system on my personal
computer.

My system configuration, at present is this:

Intel 386-dx40 (yes I know, I should update that), 8 mb ram, 900mb hard
drive on two physical units, Cardinal MVP33I 33.6 modem with internal
V-42, Trident 8900d video card with 1mb ram.  I'm presently using DOS
6.22 and Win3.1 with a modest complement of programs, mostly used for
word processing and ppp dialout to the internet.

Now, this won't be your typical BSD type installation as far as I can
tell from reading your on-line documentation. What I need to set up is
the ability to access this system remotely, preferably while I'm using
it locally.  I also need something like Unix permissions to keep people
out of the places I want them kept out of <G>.  The system will not,
however be connected to a network.  Internet access will be as it is now
via ppp dialout.

There are, however, two complications:

1) My $#@^ modem is plug and play programmed for i/o port every time I
reboot my system.  While this will survive most warm boots, it will not
survive a hard reset.  The problem is that the "PNPSET" utility I use
under DOS does not have a BSD, LINUX, or whatever equivalent.  This
means the only way I can presently activate my modem is by booting into
DOS.  My requests for information about how this works have gone
unanswered by Cardinal itself, and I can't seem to find anyone who knows
that that little proggy actually does.  (There is a win95 appi for this
too, but they are just as secretive about it.)

2) Once in DOS it would be necessary to jump to BSD.  Preferably through
a simple command like "GOBSD" that can be entered at the dos prompt.  I
do not want my second OS to actually run "under" DOS, but I will need to
be able to start it from DOS.

3) It may be occasionally necessary to exit BSD and return to DOS for
various tasks.  So I will need something like a "GODOS" command that can
be executed under BSD.  I realize that BSD can run text mode DOS
programs now, but I will neeed to completely exit BSD and return to dos
on occasion.

Any information you can give me about getting this working would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...