Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Cc:        val@picturetrail.com, mike.wentz@3ware.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
Subject:   RE: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

On 22-Aug-01 Michael VanLoon wrote:
> Ignore physics if you want.  I tend not to try to bend the laws of reality.
> The numbers are in front of you: there are some conceivable situations where
> you will over-load your power supply.  It may not happen frequently, but it
> can happen.

 Oh I don't doubt that at all. I used to be an engineering technician who had
the fun task of taking what engineers said shoudl work.. on paper and making it
work.. for real.

> As someone else posted, if you're also running all those big fans off this
> PS you're loading it further.

 Not that much, the fans are very efficiant.

> You've been lucky in the past.  You won't always be lucky.
> It's funny how you say you've run these big servers in the past and they
> worked all great with off-the shelf power supplies.  Our biggest servers
> have power supplies in them commonly twice the size of normal desktop
> machines, and being proprietary (often redundant), I don't even know how
> many watts they are, but you can bet they're more than 300.

You might want to check. Quite often they are not. Have you seen the wattage on
power suplies in 1 and 2U servers. Pretty damn small.

> Note this isn't a SCSI/IDE issue.  I'm one of the first people to suggest
> you should just be running SCSI with a good hardware RAID controller for
> most servers.  However the rules remain there: too many disks with too small
> a power supply = potential problems and hair-pulling.

 But you have to admit that something this repeatable on different systems
seems damn odd. So far I have not seen one reply from anyone saying.. Yea I
have a system like that that works fine. Only people with 4 port units or folks
with small capacity drives. And therein is what I am saying. If you use drives
that pack the density so high, they then would likely become more suseptable to
any anomilies.

> I'm honestly surprised people (myself included) are still trying to help you
> when you won't take good advice, and bite the heads off people who try to
> make suggestions.

 I'm not biting your head off, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I am mearly
showing examples or reason how your reasoning might be wrong or not applicable
in this case.

 I would like to point to 1 example server that has 13 Drives in it, and only 1
300 Watt power supply.
http://www.rackable.com/index-productsST.php3?checkit=noflash

 They have sold quite a few of these units, they beat the snot out of them at
Yahoo and Google, BUT they do not use them in RAID 5 or even RAID 10 as I
have been. You would think that they would be having power supply issues, but
apperantly they have not. This is but one example of why I think the power
supply issue is not relevant, but perhaps as I stated in my last email..
perhaps is worth testing, especially by 3ware to make sure users have what is
needed to use their card safely.

 Again I will state, I like the 3ware stuff, I wish I could use the 3ware stuff,
I do not think it is a FreeBSD or Driver issue. But, when using RAID 10 or RAID
5 with these newer High Capacity drives, the 3ware card may not have enough
error handling yet to be able to work well under heavy usage.

  Nicole

> Good luck.  Have fun.

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/