Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:28:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lexmark Z23 USB Printer

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Weston M. Price wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I am trying to get my FreeBSD 4.7 Stable system working with my Z23 Lexmark
> printer. I enabled support for USB printers in the kernel and was able to
> rebuild and install with no problem. dmesg correctly reports the existence of
> the device. However, I am sort of stuck at this point. I am not really sure
> what I should do next, the handbook does not explicitly reference USB
> printers. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate
> it. It would be nice to get this working since it is such a cheap printer.
> The alternative would be for me to install the printer on my WindowsXP box
> (really my girlfriends machine) and print across the network.
>
> Regards,
>
> Weston

That entire Z-series of Lexmark printers are the printer equivalent of a
Winmodem. They rely on the host OS to do some of the processing; that's
why they are so cheap.
Lexmark does release Linux drivers for them. I have a Z52 working fine on
Linux using gimp-print (without the Lexmark drivers) and I have no idea
whatsoever how to transfer the configuration to FreeBSD. I was only able
to make it work because RH & Mandrake has some gui printer wizards that
make it brainless. If I had known it was a winprinter I wouldn't have bought it; this info isn't
documented anywhere on the website.
The Z52 is allegedly the ONLY such winprinter that works reliably with free software drivers.
You might try reading up on gimp-print and the CUPS printing system.