Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 07:38:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Superuser <root@buffnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Slowdown (fwd)

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >      I am trying to telnet from a FreeBSD 2.1.0 machine to
> >   a FreeBSD machine, and it is VERY slow, it takes a few
> >
> >   Any suggestions on a solution to this problem?
>
>    Let me try a guess or two. You're connecting with a terminal server that
> doesn't understand TCP options/extensions - like an Annex? Try changing
> "tcp_extensions" to NO in /etc/sysconfig.
You guys blame ANNEX too often for freebsd shortcomings.  I have a mix of
machines, some SCO, some linux some freebsd.  Ive found tcp/ip problems
between trumpet clients and freebsd boxes (the trumpet user MUST use van
jacobson compression), between freebsd boxes on my own ring, and to
ftp.cdrom.com, and between the other boxes and the freebsds, that I dont
have between anything and the sco's, the linux's and my annexes.

This is with or without the extensions bit turned off in sysconfig, or
sysctl'd in 2.0.5 etc.

I mentioned these problems before in the usenet areas - hear how its
annex's fault, or ni general everybody elses fault, and that bsd's and
thus freebsd's tcp/ip is the standard other are measured by.

Which is great - but that doesnt do ya much if you are trying to
accomplish a goal and you need a trouble free connection between boxes.

Im not out to start a fight - I think FreeBSD has many wonderful features
and I use it for a few things even though the tcp/ip has troubles.

But if I have an application that requires solid, clean, machine to
machine tcp/ip connections over which a  lot of data must be pushed, i
use SCO or linux.

Stephen Hovey shovey@buffnet.net
	      root@buffnet.net