Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:17:30 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a XP disk to FreeBSD machine

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 05:53:49PM +0200, Rico Secada wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a box running FreeBSD 6.2 on ad0.
>
> I have another HD which used to be in the same box running XP. I set
> this drive to slave and installed it into the box in order to dualboot.
>
> On the bootmenu the new drive ad1 shows up:
>
> F1  FreeBSD
> F5  Drive 1
>
> Pressing F1 boots the disk on ad0 with FreeBSD, but pressing F5 also
> boots ad0 with FreeBSD.
>
> How can I make this work?

Sounds like you need to write a FreeBSD MBR on ad1 too.
eg Both ad0 and ad1 need the FreeBSD MBR for the boot search
sequence to work right.

Then the way it will work is you will see the same menu first
and when you hit F5 it will go to the MBR on ad1 and give you
the option to boot XP.   It might just say ???? if the file
system type is NTSF, but selecting it will boot just fine.
Actually, I don't think it should even show a second menu at
that point - rather just go in to XP, but it might show one and
so, just select the XP then.

////jerry