Date:      Sun, 30 May 2010 21:31:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        fbsd1@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: text editor

On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:36:31 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> Been using ee and been happy.
>
> Now I have need for an editor with block commands.
>
> Put dd on the first line of sequence number you want to start deleting
> and dd on the last line of the block and hit enter and the block of
> lines are deleted.
>
> OR
>
> Put cc on first line and cc on last line of black to copy and enter
> "I" on line where you want the copied block to be inserted after.
>
> Also same for mm meaning move block.
>
> Is there any editors with a function like this?

If you don't mind the size of the respective packages, both VIM and
GNU Emacs have support for many features that ee(1) lacks.

editors/vim-lite has visual block-editing and rectangle-editing modes.
It includes support for multiple open buffers, split windows, and many
more nice features.

editors/emacs has support for many selection modes, including support
for block-editing, rectangle-editing, a virtually unlimited number of
'cut buffers' (they are called 'registers' in Emacs terminology), and
a literally mind-bending number of extra features.

I use both editors on a regular basis.  Most of the ASCII art I've
posted in this mailing list and other open source mailing lists has
been created using Vim or Emacs.