Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 18:56:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslog.conf questions

I'm trying to get syslog to log messages from pppd to a seperate file
(/var/log/pppd). The man page for syslog.conf says I need to use "!pppd"
to log messages from that program, but I can't get it to work- nothing
appears in the /var/log/pppd file.

Also, how can I set up two machines so that they share each other's
messages? I've tried something like this:

On Kirk:
*.warning;kern.debug;auth.info;mark.info        /var/log/messages
*.warning;kern.debug;auth.info;mark.info        @spock

On Spock:
*.warning;kern.debug;auth.info;mark.info        /var/log/messages
*.warning;kern.debug;auth.info;mark.info        @kirk

The problem is, one machine recieves a message from the other, it logs the
message and sends it back, causing the messages to be bounced back and
forth forever. Very ugly.

Using FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE on both machines.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |