Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:44:08 +0200 (IST)
From:      Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        (Julian Elischer) <julian@TFS.COM>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CHROOT changes to login.

Hello!

That's how i use chroot in login:

       if (pwd->pw_uid > 100)  {
         char *new_dir;
         char *p;
         if (p =3D strstr(pwd->pw_dir, "/./"))   {
                new_dir =3D p + 2;
                (void)setenv("HOME", new_dir, 1);
=20
         *p =3D '\0';
         if (chroot(pwd->pw_dir) =3D=3D -1)
                fprintf(stderr, "WARNING! Failed to chroot to %s! Shell may run
in unsecure mode!", pwd->pw_dir);
                                                }
                                }

IMHO "/./" is very convinient and wu-ftpd uses it too.

On 09-Feb-96 Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> > in the primary /etc/passwd, but the special userid "*chroot" (or similar)
>> > is, then the chroot /etc/passwd will be consulted ?
>> >=20
>> > I would hate to have all the users in the primary /etc/passwd too.
>>=20
>> not a bad idea, but if you ever type your name wrong, you've had it..
>
>That is perfectly fine for me.
>
>I see it as your "chroot" group mode is good for a few chrooted users.
>
>My "unknown" mode is good for the majority of users being chrooted.
>
>Having both is just added flexibility.
>
>--
>Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
>http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
>whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
>Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.

--------
 Gennady B. Sorokopud - System programmer at NetVision Israel.
 E-Mail: Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
 Homepage: http://www.netvision.net.il/~gena

 This message was sent at 02/09/96 11:44:08 by XF-Mail