Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:24:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        danj@3skel.com (Dan Janowski)
Cc:        bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

> I have seen that OpenBSD is doing something with lfs, but I
> am not sure what. It would be worth while to get lfs running
> for sure; if you ever wondered, a lot of that disk bandwith
> goes to filesystem overhead.

In the specific case of "lots of small articles being accessed all over
the place", yes...  in general I would have to disagree :-)

With the "-noatime" hack, you gain some of that bandwidth back by not
having to support all the crummy metadata updates that you probably
didn't care too much about anyways.

> I once exchanged some e-mail with someone at BSDI and with
> Margo Seltzer, who was a principle for lfs. The apparent
> primary reason why lfs does not run here is that lfs does some
> wierd stuff with the ATT buffer code that is missing in
> 4.4-lite. I was not able to get a synopsis of what or how to
> get around it, but it didn't sound like lfs was broken, it's
> just missing some wheels.
>
> Maybe we can all talk about it a little and figure out
> how hard it would be to get going. If we were running
> a kick-ass big/fast file system, FreeBSD would capture
> some more of the Int(er|tra)+Net market. In addition
> to which, the infamous 'make world' time would surely
> benefit.

While I agree with this analysis, I unfortunately lack the skills and
internals knowledge to even contemplate doing something like this...
otherwise I would be off writing "newsfs" in a corner somewhere.

... JG