Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:29:28 -0400
From:      David Nobles <dnobles@dnobles.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: FreeBSD CDROM Installation

I realize 3.2 is old but I had the complete set of CDs for it from Greg
Lehey's book (3rd edition)..  I have my desktop setup as dual boot
with ME and Linux 8, that installed  without a problem but it's on a
DVD not a CD-ROM.  I've tried a 3.4 CD someone burned for me, a
Mandrake CD I burned using the iso file I downloaded from the Internet
and right now I'm downloading 5.1 to try that.  My connection is very
slow which is my original reason for using the 3.2 CDs.

I tried installing all of these by themselves and later  I gave Win ME 5GBs
from the drive to try and create a dual boot - still no luck.

After I run the Kernel and MFS floppies and go through the menus, one of
them selecting the installation media as CD-ROM it gets to the point where
it asks me if I really what to do this.  Once I select yes it put the following
message on my screen:

newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rwd0s1f

It stays there for a few minutes then reboots at which boot I get the boot:
prompt I menioned before.  The only difference between the solo install
and with windows is for one I get the message

F1 - freeBSD
Default: F1 for solo

F1 - freeBSD
F2 - DOS
Default: F2 for dual.

I'm mainly just trying to get something installed to learn, I figure I can
upgrade
later.

Any help would be appreciated.

At 04:28 AM 9/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>David Nobles <dnobles@dnobles.com> writes:
>
> > Per David's suggestion, I'm redirecting this question to this list.  My
> > FreeBSD CDs are for 3.2.  Not sure what additional information might
> > be helpful.
>
>FreeBSD 3.2 was outdated four years ago.

> > >Woo hoo!

>So you're booting from floppy, but when you try to use the CDROM as
>the installation medium, it doesn't recognize it?  It's not supposed
>to be rebooting in the middle -- is it really doing that, or do you
>mean something else?

Regards,

David Nobles
http://www.dnobles.com