Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:24:22 -0400
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mt/tape media: how to reuse worn media?

Hartmann, O. wrote:
> Changing several parameters of a tape drive/autoloader unit seems to
> remains DDS-4 media unuseable.
>
> I playes around with mt blocksize, mt seteotmodel and tried to do
> backups either via tar or afbackup. But now several tape media seems
> to force the tape drive unit to recognize this medium as "Worn Media'.
>
> I tried an erase, without success. It hink it is a simple 'trick' to
> get back a valid tape, but how?

I'm not sure this has much to do with -STABLE.  Anyway, have you eliminated
the obvious-- ie, have you tried using a new tape rather than ones which
might actually be worn?  (They do wear out; maybe the drive is correct...?)

Have you run a cleaning tape recently?  Could the drive be misaligned?

-Chuck

PS: I switched from helical scan DDS tapes to linear tape systems like DLT
(or Ultrium, maybe), and I haven't looked back since.