Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:07:26 +1200
From:      kit <kit@hypostasis.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading without cvsup

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 05:26:17PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Samuel Chow wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 14:08:14 -0400 (EDT)
> > "Francisco Reyes" <lists@natserv.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a machine which for some reason, probably the router not letting
> > > a port through, I can use cvsup.
> > >
> > > Could I just tar /usr/src from another machine and copy it to the
> > > machine in question?
> >
> > 	If you setup NFS, you can also NFS mount /usr/src and
> > 	/usr/obj to install.  This way you compile once on your
> > 	fastest machine, and install on many slower machines.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but these machines are in totally different
> locations so NFS is probably not a good idea for these machines.

You may want to consider CTM
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ctm.html
which may be easier than taking media between machines (given nfs is out)
and is quicker than having to ftp the entire tree for ongoing updates.

Of course you could run your own server and have it listen on another
port

--kit

--
whois -h whois.gandi.net KM78-GANDI