Date:      Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:41:53 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "can't load 'kernel'" on ZFS root

On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:20 , Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 07/09/2011 10:35 Artem Belevich said the following:
>> It makes me wonder, though -- if we're probing devices anyways, why =
is
>> zpool.cache existence mandatory? According to the name it's a =
*cache*,
>> presumably to speed up zpool detection on a normal boot. Perhaps we
>> can fall back to probing all drives if zpool.cache is missing. Slower
>> boot definitely beats no booting at all.
>=20
> Very good point indeed.
>=20
> Pawel, Martin, do you know how the relevant code works?  I suspect =
that you do
> :-)  Maybe this could be improved trivially?...

Imagine, you have an HAST pool, that is currently exported. Exporting =
the zpool removes it from the spool.cache, so it is not =
recognized/mounted at boot. If your node is a HAST secondary and not =
supposed to touch that zpool, then you might accidentally import/use it, =
if you ignore the zpool.cache contents.

Also, you might not want to import a pool, that is connected to the =
server, but not intended for importing. For example, in disaster =
recovery. Or if it overlaps with mount points etc.

Other than that, perhaps you could consider recognizing pools that =
'belong' to that host, but not present in the cache.

Daniel=