Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:32:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Veaceslav Revutchi <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   please advice how to solve a spam problem

Greetings,

We maintain a free web-based email service @mail.md in Moldova.

What happens is that people around the world receive spam as from
someuser@mail.md. The "From" field in the spam is forged since we
don't have such users @mail.md. The server itself denys relay
by default.
So spammers are using other servers to deliver their spam but
forge the mail so that it looks like its from us.

Why do they do this? Why not forging in some other addresses?

This morning the .MD domain administratots removed all our records
for MAIL.MD as punishment !
But we are responsible for this spam. We can not explain the whole world
about this.

What should we do in this kind of situations.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you,
veaceslav