Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:37:09 +0200
From:      "Daan Nagtegaal" <dnagtega@csir.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail deferring

Hi

I use FreeBSD ver 3.1 and cron to send email once every 24 hours.
However at the moment the mail messages don't leave the Mail
Queue any more. The moment I send email to myself fi at
.....@mailbox.co.za (this is an 'outside' email address) and do
a 'mailq -v', I get:
(Deferred: Operation timed out with smtp.mailbox.co.za)
Shortly afterwards this changes to:
(Deferred: Name server: mailbox.co.za: host name lookup failure)

Sending email to my own domain (csir.co.za) works without problems.

Ping, telnet, lynx, etc also work OK.

I've searched the archives but can't really find an answer.
Any pointers appreciated.

TIA

Daan
(dnagtega@csir.co.za)