Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:21:45 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Experiences with aout-to-elf and new bootblocks

Peter Jeremy wrote:

> tutorial: http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html).  I found that
> /boot/loader could load my 2.x kernel (although it happily handled
               ^^^^^^^^^^

You mean "could not", right?

> [gzip'd] -current kernels in both a.out and ELF format).  The stage2
> loader boot: prompt happily loaded the 2.x kernel.  When /boot/loader
> tries to load my 2.x kernel, the screen displays gibberish and the
> system locks up (hard reset needed).  Any ideas on this one?

Is it kzipped, your 2.x kernel? (Is there any detail about it that
you think it is not relevant? :-)

> Finally, whilst I can happily load a 3.x kernel from my 2nd HD,
> the kernel is confused about where it's loading from:  It can't
> find root and panics.
>
> System details: PII-266 with IDE disks:
> primary master:   wd0:  dualboot (W95/FreeBSD 2.x)
> primary slave:    ATAPI cdrom
> secondary master: wd2: FreeBSD 3.0 (not dangerously dedicated)
> secondary slave:  not present
>
> Both the 2.x and -current kernels correctly recognize both disks
> during the probes.  When I try to boot from wd2a, the kernel
> reports:
> changing root device to wd1s1a
> changing root device to wd1a
> error 6: panic cannot mount root(2)
>
> If I recall correctly, the problem here is that the BIOS is reporting
> the 2 HDs as 0 and 1, rather than 0 and 2.  I can't recall what the
> work-around is (I'd prefer not to juggle the disks).  Any suggestions?

Well, kind of. You "hard code" the name wd2 in your kernel
configuration file. Loader assigns numbers sequentially. Either we
teach loader to hard code names (which is probably an excellent
idea), or you assign names to your hd following loader's logic. Ie,
s/wd2/wd1/ in your kernel configuration file (and rebuild :).

BTW, what *devfs* would call that second drive, anyone? I suspect
this "hard coding" might not be... healthy...

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
it, you haven't gotten market rate.