Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 96 15:05:57 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers; FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: CCITT support in current

>> I've found, what last current does not support CCITT already. Can
>> I ask why ? I have installed X400 GW on FreeBSD and plan to install
>> other tech. sites on FreeBSD, but I must use other system due of
>> abcense of CCITT protocols.
>
> Because nobody was supporting it!
>
> I'll make you an offer, however.  I'll happily send you a 2.1 or 2.0.5
> (or however far back you'd like to go, really!) CD containing the
> CCITT stuff and you can hack it back into your copy of -current and
> make it compile / function as it's supposed to.  Then, assuming that
> you're willing to become Mr. CCITT Protocols Person, it can be merged
> into -current but this time as SUPPORTED CODE, that is supported by
> you (all code has to be supported by *somebody*, after all, and none
> of us use the CCITT stuff!).

I have just got back from the IT Forum in Paris (*strange* show).  One
of the few interesting bits of information I brought with me was the
fact that France Telecom has dropped the pricing on Minitel, and as a
result a whole lot of new service providers have shot up.  For those
who don't know Minitel, it's a primitive terminal given to phone
subscribers instead of a phone book.  A whole industry has sprung up
around it.  It's rather like having telnet access to the Internet.
The difference is that the system runs on Transpac, France Telecom's
X.25 service.

It looks like FreeBSD would be the ideal vehicle for a Minitel server,
but it would mean getting the X.25 up to scratch (and conformant with
Transpac, which is based on the 1980 standard).  I remember reading a
while back that somebody was working on this--are you listening,
somebody?  In any case, is anybody else interested in development in
this direction?

Greg