Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2015 08:16:44 +0300
From:      rozhuk.im@gmail.com
To:        "'Kimmo Paasiala'" <kpaasial@gmail.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Hackers' <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org, 'Adam Nowacki' <nowakpl@platinum.linux.pl>
Subject:   RE: ChaCha8/12/20 and GEOM ELI tests

> >> Depends on the capabilities of the attacker.
> >>
> >> To be able to continuously read encrypted sectors for data
> collection is too much.
> >>

> When talking about disk encryption the first assumption is that the=20
> attacker always has this capability, even with so much power the=20
> attacker shouldn't be able to break the encryption scheme. If he can=20
> then the encryption scheme is not secure.
>=20
> Ift the attacker can learn anything about the unencrypted data or=20
> predict something about future encrypted or unencrypted blocks by=20
> analyzing the previous encrypted blocks the encryption scheme should=20
> be considered insecure.

I consider the case when the disk can be obtained by physically an =
attacker.
All the rest of the disk directly connected to the computer.

If an attacker can read encrypted data directly to disk means that the =
system is already compromised by an attacker, and probably in this case =
can read the data from the disk and through read() already decrypted and =
get the key from the kernel memory.