Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 20:24:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        New User <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.com" <questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   RE: "System full"? / Linux emulation

Hi,

please don't put two questions in one mail! It makes it hard to find and to
answer the mails...

On 23-May-97 at 20:11:45 New User wrote:
>-- [ From: New User * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>1. Question:
>I tried to compile a new kernel with my personal configuration (ISDN, no
>SCSI, etc) but whenever I type "make" it says after some minutes of
>compiation: "System full [...]". Where is my problem? I use a 1-GB-HDD;
>typing "df" I learn that about 60% of /var and /usr are in use (/proc=100%).
>Do I have too little memory (12K) or a too slow processor (486/DX-40)? [I
>think that this could *not* be the reason.]

Yes, you're right. 12k _is_ too little memory ;-)
Where are you when you type "make"? In /usr/src or in
/sys/i386/compile/WHATEVER? Could you send the complete error mesasge and the
output of your df to the list?
We need to know what file it's compiling and so on...

>2. Question:
>I tried to run Liunx programmes; before I did so, I changed in
>/etc/sysconfig LINUX="NO" to "YES". But having restarted my computer none of
>them ran. I use the 2.2.1-stable release of FreeBSD and did evereything the
>handbook says. Where is the error? And one more question: Do Linux
>programmes run slower on FreeBSD than under their native platform? I mean:
>is this emulation robbing system resources and computing time?

What is the error you get when you run the programms. If they're looking for
libraries, you will have to install the linux-libs package. If they're "unknown
ELF type", you need to use "brandelf -t Linux", see "man brandelf".
If the Linux binaries are not ELF type at all, they won't run under FreeBSD.
Which answers the second part of the second question: ELF binaries run equally
fast on comparable systems. This is not a byte-by-byte emulation!

>I would be happy if You could answer at least one question so that I will be
>able to use FreeBSD correctly.
>       Yours,
>               Stefan Veith

cu Jo