Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:23:01 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Mark Willson <cdr.nil@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is there a way of usinf greo to find 3 or 4 blank lines?

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 08:11:48PM +0100, Mark Willson wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >in my manuscript, i have many places where i'ved used several
> >newlines to indicate a jump in time, or topic, or mood, or
> ><<whatever>>.  i have lost these vertical spacing in all but my
> >original draft.  can i use grep somehow to find these extra newlines?
> >

> >if not grep, then sed, ed, or what?!
> >
> >tia,
> >
> >gary
> >

> Gary,
>
> If I understand your question correctly (by no means certain), the
> following may help.  This is an awk script, which will print out the
> lines in the source file at which it finds more than three consecutive
> empty lines.
>
> BEGIN {
>     ncnt = 0
> }
> /^ *$/ {
> 	ncnt++;
>         if (ncnt > 3)
> 		{print "Emphasis at: " NR;
> 		 ncnt = 0;}
> 	 next;
> 	}
>        {ncnt = 0;}
>
> You can invoke this (assuming the awk source in is a file called
> "em.awk" and your original manuscript is in a file called "manuscript") by:
>
> $ awk -f em.awk manuscript
>
> -mark

	Yes, this works just fine.  I findthat there are about 130 places that I need to
	track...  --yeah, i did over-do it in the time-breaks in my story.

	Is there a way of printing the string/line in the `manuscript' file along with the line
	number?  I'm well into a copyedit of the manuscript and would rather not start over!

	thanks for this.

	gary