Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 13:55:50 +0300
From:      Alexey Lukin <al@cn.ua>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing sio0 and sio1 (was: HELP! Please, HELP!)

Hi, Greg!

Greg Lehey wrote:
[...]
> ?
> ? I giot the same sort of problems with different new motherboards.
> ? Well, the SIO detection code is TOO sophisticated and does not recognise
> ? MOST of on-board 16550 sios.
>
> I haven't heard anybody claim that before.  Can you substantiate this
> claim?  Which motherboards have you used?  What UARTs do they use?
> Did the patch work with all of them?

I tried motherboards of 2 wendors: "Micro Star" (MS-5156)
and few lastI "Iwill" boards.

All boards have 16550A chips. Linux 2.0.32,33 recognized sio ports and
worked well,
but 2.2.5-R, 2.2.6-R refused to DETECT sio ports.

> In any case, code which doesn't recognize all UARTS is not *too*
> sophisticated.

I mean only style of /sys/i386/isa/sio.c.

> ? So, developers of SIO driver should re-write a bit SIO code to fit new
> ? chips.
>
> And break the old ones?

No :-) Just get ports detected :-)

> At the moment, we don't know that this affects more than a fraction of
> all motherboards.  Yuri wasn't confident enough to commit this patch
> (which, so far, has always worked), because he was afraid it might
> break the majority for whom the current code works.

Ok, Ok. But I spent a week changing motherboards for simplest worksation
:-)

IMHO, sio detection procedure may have options "STRICT" to do what it
tries to do. If I just want to have
9600 console or mouse on sio device, I do not need all the troubles with
detection.
BTHW, SIO code itself works just fine on 115200.

And please, exuse me if I said something in offesive manner. It's my
pure English, not the intention.

Best regards!
Alex