Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 14:57:04 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xdm opening sequence [was Here's the start of a FreeBSD rock 'n roll anthem]

> > What do you think? (Anyone have any original ideas?)
> >
> >    Deep Purple
> >    Machine Head
>
> [snip]
>
> >    Smoke on the water, fire in the sky
>
> Very good! Reminds me of the jpeg of Chuck on a rock with a sunbeam
> breaking thru a cloudy sky that came from someone in the Japanese
> FreeBSD group. I don't know where to download that picutre anymore
> as the URL I used quickly disappeared. But the one I sometimes use
> for an X background was "daemon0-HQ-1024x768.jpg"
>
> Animate the picture above. Record you lyrics. Combine. Send to MTV.

I got that picture from www.freebsd.org recently - can't remember
exactly where.  It's an excelent opening X screen:

dev:~ $ cat /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $
xv -root /usr/local/shared/mm/pic/FreeBSD/daemon1.jpg -quit
xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
dev:~ $ fgrep xlogin /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources | fgrep geom
xlogin*geometry: -30+160

I haven't looked into what other program besides xv will do this, but
wouldn't this be a good thing to include as standard ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;