Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:01:05 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for sysinstall / disklabel

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 09:27:26PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:29:10PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> > Anyway, the above is a long-winded justification for the following
> > suggestions:
> >      1) if disklabel has already been told about '/', then it
> >         should not try and reserve partition 'a' of OTHER SLICES
> >         to also be '/'.  The first partition created in those
> >         other slices should just be labelled partition 'a'.
>
> I don't want my data partition in say sd0s4 to be `a'.  `a' implies root.
> So your suggestion will irritate some.

Like me (if that counts ;-)

> >      2) similarly, if it already has swap space defined, then
> >         it should not try to reserve partition 'b' of other
> >         slices to be swap.  The second partition defined in
> >         those other slices should be labelled partition 'b'.
>
> What is wrong with having more than one slice with swap in it?
> Nothing.

On the same disk it does not make too much sense, but it should not be
illegal.

> >      4) never reserve 'a' or 'b'.  Always create partitions in the
> >         order people typed them in, except that WHEN someone says
> >         they want to create '/', THEN both move that partition
> >         to the front of the slice and name it 'a' (renaming other
> >         partitions as needed).
>
> NO!  Many want to put swap at the "beginning" of the disk as that is the
> fastest part of the disk.  The i386 has no problems booting from a

People optimising the speed of the swap device are in a state of sin anyway.
They should go out and buy some more memory to make their working set fit
in core.

[I know.. this is taking shortcuts. ]

> partition that is not located at the beginning of the disk(slice).  The
> problem with the Alpha is people try the same "trick", but it does not
> work.

No..