Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 00:14:17 -0400
From:      David Sarrazin <sarr0006@algonquinc.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound skipping

Peter Radcliffe wrote:

> "Christopher L. Goetzke" <clg1@daemon.arh.ms.cdc.com> probably said:
> > I tend to get skips while playing audio with mp3blaster; as a quick-n-dirty
> > workaround, I fire it up at nice -10 (actually, I usually renice it).  That
> > seems to work for me.  YMMV.
>
> Something got a lot worse, particularly with xmms, not long before 4.0
> was released.  My 3.4-STABLE box at work running xms with the newest
> libraries I could find uses 100% cpu to itself, all the time and skips
> with no provovation.
>
> My laptop when it was running 3.4-PAO and slightly older xmms libraries
> was fine (same as the desktop box used to be).
>
> My now 4.0-S laptop is better than the 3.4-S desktop but xmms still
> takes more CPU and skips a lot more than exactly the same hardware
> used to, and the equalizer breaks audio to the point of just
> occasional crackling sounds, now.

Just to provide an additional data point, while running XMMS 0.9.5 on
3.4-STABLE, with the sb driver, I found that
it used up 100% (according to top) of my CPU, which seems to be the norm.  After
upgrading to FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE
and XMMS 1.0.1, CPU usage has dropped to 28%, with the PCM driver.  I have no
trouble with the EQ, and the only
time it skips is when I start using Netscape 4.5.

I use the AWE64, so no difference there.   In case it matters, my mp3s are kept
on a FAT32 partition.

dmesg:

CPU: Pentium/P55C (199.74-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x543  Stepping = 3
  Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62205952 (60748K bytes)

sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq
1,5 on isa0
sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 5
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0
unknown0: <Game> at port 0x200-0x207 on isa0
unknown1: <WaveTable> at port 0x620-0x623 on isa0

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it's a situation where something
(XMMS 1.0.1 or FreeBSD 4.0 w/PCM) has
improved the situation.

David Sarrazin