Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:00:38 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Efren Bravo <efrenba@dhl.co.cu>
Cc:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: compiling kernel

Efren Bravo wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Trying to compile the kernel I found this problem:
>
> My PC has not ISA slot and I want to disable it from
>/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL but on /boot/device.hints I found some devices
>pointing to isa.
>
> Can I remove those devices declarations? Because for example my pc
>doesn't have SCSI but what can I do with ata, fdc, ppc, sio, vga, psm and
>atkbdc devices? Can I also remove them?
>
> Thanks a lot...

If you think you have a machine that will run without drivers for
an ATA disk controller, a Floppy Disk Controller, a Parallel Port
Chipset driver, any serial communications (sio), a video console (vga),
a mouse, and a keyboard, then by all means go ahead and try it.
BUT if I were you I'd do "man ata, man fdc, man ppc," etc. and see
what those things do before I remove them from my kernel.

((In other words, leave it all in!!!)

Kevin Kinsey