Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 23:55:56 GMT
From:      fnel@infoweb.co.za (Francois Nel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minimal Instalation

I am considering using FreeBSD as an application server on a corporate LAN.
The server need to have no frills at all and should mainly be able to accept
connections from many client machines to a single user application service.
I would like to know what the minimum configuration (size of installation,
which distribution) of such a machine can be with only bare bone services
such as PING, TELNET, FTP, (??) which will be useful for debugging and
configuration management purposes, including of course the normal file
system commands.  This configuration will have to reside on many similar
sites and I would therefore like this process to be repeatable from a master
installation disk(s) on whatever medium.  How easy will it be to set up such
an installation disk or is there a distribution which allows such options to
be specified?

:-)  Since you have nothing to loose or gain being a bunch of volunteers I
feel free to ask the next question:  How in your opinion does Linux and
FreeBSD compare in terms of:
        Stability
        Efficiency of implimentation
        Quality