Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:28:13 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help - where to report posting problem

Dick Davies wrote:

>* Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> [0430 12:30]:
>

>>Here's your answer.  This means that the SMTP server that you
>>use as a relay is poorly configured.  There is a FAQ entry:
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#FREEBSD-MAIL-BOUNCES
>>
>>Looks like the 4th bullet point applies here.  Whoever admins
>>that mail server needs to fix the config so it uses a real
>>host/domain name in the HELO command, not "popimap02.icare.priv"
>>

>You shouldn't be dumping mails based on the contents of HELO though, should
>you?

If I understand correctly, it's not the content of HELO per se,
it is the fact that the contents of HELO could not be resolved
to an IP address.

That's relatively lightweight ... for example, if you connect to
an AOL MX server (although who really cares to? :-D), you're
refused if they can't resolve HELO to a PTR record ....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.