Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 12:21:27 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        todd ritzka <acidrop50@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help

todd ritzka wrote:

> hello,
> recently i was editiong my rc.conf file and i think that i made a
> mistakesome where. now when i logon i get this error that looks
> somewhat like this:
>
> /bin/rc.conf "some error, i forget":14
> enter the startup shell or press return to run /bin/sh
> #
>
> at the prompt i typed a number of things and nothing worked. what can
> i do to be able to get to logon and how do i fix my error
>
> (my usual shell is tcsh, and im new at this so please make it
> simple:)

Well, tcsh probably won't work at this point and your only choice is
/bin/sh. Nothing else is mounted. The SA response is usually "We can't
help unless you tell us what the message is". The number of choices is
really pretty large. I have made the error of having unbalanced '"'
and the system complains pretty well and leaves you at the setup mode.
It seems like a couple of weeks ago I did the following.

1 choose /bin/sh because I don't think you have a choice at this
point.

2 "mount -a"  This is to load /usr, which is a different file system
on my machine. The only editor in /bin is ed and if you can't mount
/usr, you will learn ed.

3 cd /etc
4 vi rc.conf and get rid of the error.
5 reboot and see if you fixed the error.

If nothing works, you can probably get away with doing "mv rc.conf
rc.conf.old" and reboot.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html