Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 15:48:13 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        fadorno@juno.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        gibbs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2920 and NEC CDR-222 (4x SCSI)

>I read in the book that you are in charge of the SCSI subsystem.  I like
>to know if you are working on a device drivers that will work with the
>Adaptec 2920.

I work on the SCSI system, but I'm not "in-charge" of it.

I am not working on a device driver for the 2920 and don't have
any plans to work on one personally.

>I get this message at the end of the kernel:
>
>"pci0:19:vendor=0x1036, device=0x0000, class=storage (scsi) [no driver
>assigned]"

Yup.  Its not a supported adapter.

>Any suggestions or quick fixes?

Buy a supported adapter?

>I am a newbie, so I wouldn't know how to
>write a device driver.

The way I transformed from a newbie into a developer was by buying a piece
of unsupported hardware and writing a device driver for it(2742T).  There
is a large learning curve, but I think its a very gratifying endevor.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations