Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:52:52 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ray Seals <rayseals@midwestis.com>, Freebsd-Advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On-line Help

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 11:45:27AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > I would like to make this comment.  The one thing I will hand to the
> > Linux crowd is the HOWTO pages on their website.  While we have a
> > pretty decent set of help pages on our side.  As a FreeBSD newbie
> > (1.2 years) I have found some things rather difficult to track down.
> > I propose that we spend some time porting their HOWTO pages to
> > FreeBSD website.  I'm sure the lack of documentation on how to do
> > things is due to the fact that most of us aren't 14 year olds or in
> > college.  So, we don't have a lot of time on our hands to write
> > documentation.  We have to document enough stuff at work.
>
> Agreed.  I had thought of collecting the howtos and adapting them to
> FreeBSD as an interim measure.  Note that this would mean that they
> would be under the GPL; I don't see a big problem with this, though I
> know others do.
>
> > How bad do you think that would piss those guys off?
>
> They have no reason to be pissed off.  If they release stuff under the
> GPL, they must expect (even welcome) this to happen.

The Linux HOWTOs are under a bunch of different copyrights; the
restriction for the Linux Documentation Project is that they are
freely redistributable in any form, not that they are under the GPL,
if I understand correctly.

Apart from that, I've only been in contact with one of the authors,
but he was clearly positive to a 'port' :-)

Perhaps we technically should do the conversions as this - directly as
FreeBSD ports, where people can just install them (and thus get them
in /usr/local/share/doc/HOWTO/ or somesuch).  That way, there is at
least a structure in place for keeping them up to date - and there is
precedence for pure documentation port (e.g, the Emacs Lisp manual).

Eivind.