Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:04:01 +0300
From:      Seppo Kallio <kallio@silmu.st.jyu.fi>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, "Craig H. Rowland" <crowland@psionic.com>
Cc:        Wilson MacGyver <macgyver@cylatech.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post breakin log (Saint/Nessus/?)

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 10:39:36AM +0200, Philippe Regnauld wrote:
> Craig H. Rowland writes:
> >
> > Shameless plug: I wrote a quick page a while back describing some of the
> > more common attacks I've seen against hosts. It may contain some useful
> > information for you:
> >
> > http://www.psionic.com/papers/attacks.html
>
> 	One might want to check out the May issue of ;login: which
> 	includes an overview of common network attacks, by Aleph One (Bugtraq
> 	moderator).

Is there good tools to make a check if my (or neighbour's) node has good
security or not? I think in principle that kind of tool is possible, but
it should be updatet daily and easy to use (so that I can run it daily).

We are managing 10-20 Sun/Linux/FreeBSD nodes at cc,
AND a lot of University staff have Linux/Sun workstations.

Some simple tool to check our nodes and the nodes of the professors could be
very nice!

I have head about http://www.wwdsi.com/saint/ (Saint) and
http://www.nessus.org/ (Nessus)  how are they? Experiences?

I think the app should have (secure) database somewhere in net to
check the bug free popper version number for example. Or easy automatic
local database update (by 'mirror' or something).

--
Seppo Kallio	 kallio@cc.jyu.fi	http://www.jyu.fi/~kallio