Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2021 11:41:32 -0800
From:      John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: digital ocean droplet, FreeBSD update from 11.2 to 12.2p4, zpool upgrade and boot sector ?

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 08:27:23PM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> So that part looks similar, but gpart has this:
> # gpart show
> *** Fatal error: open(show): No such file or directory.

  I don't know what is going on there, and I'm on 13 or 14 everywhere now
so I can't sanity check.

  My general process is the normal kernel+world upgrade-from-source process
(not necessarily what you're doing) and when that is all working, look at
zpool status and see if something new can be enabled.  If so, extra backups
(offline snapshot), upgrade bootcode, upgrade pool, reboot, profit!

  If your gpart program is broken (mine runs fine even as a regular user),
that is probably unrelated but don't upgrade your pool without upgrading
your bootcode because you can get in trouble, particularly with the OpenZFS
transition that I think you'd hit.