Date:      Tue, 06 May 2003 13:39:42 -0700
From:      Lee Damon <nomad@castle.org>
To:        dan@slightlystrange.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portable MP3 player integration with FreeBSD?

Dan,

Are you using .4x or 5.x for this?  I've tried to get my Studio 20 working
with 5.0-Current, but the umass driver doesn't pick it up.  If I
have ugen compiled in it grabs the device, but if I don't then
nothing does.  It looks like the entries for In-System Design haven't
changed between the 4.x tree and the 5.x tree. There's an entry for
INSYSTEM_USBCABLE in umass.c, but not for INSYSTEM_ATAPI which is what
0x0031 maps to in usbdevs.  (Adding INSYSTEM_ATAPI  to it generates
a panic.)

usbdevs -v -d shows:

 port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, USB Storage
Adapter(0x0031),
 In-System Design(0x05ab), rev 1.10

Looking at the devfs filesystem there is no da entry created, nor are
there any /dev/u* entries generated.

: || tylendel.castle.org [10] ; ls -ld /dev/da* /dev/u*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel            7 May  5 12:58 /dev/urandom -> random
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  108, 255 May  5 12:58 /dev/usb
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  108,   0 May  5 12:58 /dev/usb0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  108,   1 May  5 12:58 /dev/usb1
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  108,   2 May  5 12:58 /dev/usb2

Nothing shows up in dmesg when I connect the device. usbd run in
diag-mode shows the attach event, but (as would be expected) doesn't
know what to do with it.

usbd: device-attach event at 1052164813.200453000, USB Storage Adapter,
In-Syste
m Design:
  vndr=0x05ab prdct=0x0031 rlse=0x0110 clss=0x00ff subclss=0x0000 prtcl=0x00ff

The kernel I just tried with is:
FreeBSD 5.1-BETA #53: Tue May  6 09:10:50 PDT 2003
    root@tylendel.castle.org:/users/FreeBSD-5.0/obj/users/FreeBSD-5.0/src/sys/T
LENDEL

But it also doesn't work with the 5.0-current kernel from 7 APR, 2003.

Anyone have any suggestions?
nomad

>On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:30:14PM -0800, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>      I'd like to get my wife a portable mp3 player, but it seems like
>> they all require Windows and special software... and I'd rather not have a
>> windows box just so she can copy mp3s...  I noticed the urio driver, but
>> it's only for a couple of players (not the SONICblue Rio S35S which is the
>> one I like best at this point).
>>
>> So two questions:
>>
>> - What portable mp3 players are you using that work well with FreeBSD
>> (beyond what's in the urio man page)?
>
>I have an Archos Jukebox, which requires no special drivers, just
>USB support in your kernel for the umass device.  Therefore, you can
>use whatever software works best for you WRT encoding mp3's.  Just plug
>it in, and copy yer files to it with your OS's native commands.  Easy.
>It's a really good device, too.
>
>FWIW, the jukebox software shipped for Windows is the best encoding/burning
>software I've used on that platform.
>
>> - Are any of you using mp3 players that just use a standard compactflash
>> card that I can just copy files onto using existing USB umass stuff?  (I'm
>> having zero luck finding info about this).
>
>Don't know about this - the Archos is simply a small form-factor HDD
>with some proprietary stuff around it.
>
>--
>Daniel Bye

nomad
 -----------
The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed.  A sentiment more unworthy of a free country could
hardly be propagated.  If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have only to
declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ...  In war,
then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the press.
Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.
                -- William Ellery Channing

 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                       \
                                 				    /\
Seneschal, Castle PAUS.                                            /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \