Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 13:17:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   scanpci.c and pci-related stuff

I noticed in /usr/X11R6/bin a program called scanpci which apparently
scans the pci bus looking for devices.

The source is deep into the XF86 source tree,

	/usr/src/X11R6/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/scanpci.c

and apparently compiles easily.  I find it useful, and although it
has some funny imprecisions (it detects the SAA 7116 by Philips as
an "Intel SAA7116") I believe it is a nice tool for scanning system
configurations.

How about contacting the author Robin Cutshaw (robin@xfree86.org)
to see if it can be included in /sbin ? The source (which I will
be glad to post if needed, it's about 30KB) have a berkeley-like
copyright, so that should not be much of a problem.

And, one thing I would like to know, is if there exist any program to
reconfigure a peripheral on the PCI bus.

I believe I have a broken BIOS on one of our motherboards which
incorrectly assigns the same interrupt to two boards. I'd like to
override this somehow. And I would also like to avoid using INT10 on
the PCI bus, as many ISA board often use this interrupt line and they
cannot be configured on INT11, 12 or 13

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/