Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 02:20:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rtty port again..

(I think Jordan sent this to "ports@cdrom.com", so I'm quoting the
whole text.)

 * Earlier I asked Satoshi why he'd expanded the PLIST for rtty since
 * there was no reason in this instance for anyone to add something to
 * /usr/local/rtty, and hence I didn't see wanting to preserve it.  Then
 * I went and actaully tried it, as I should have initially, and found:
 *
 * root@time-> pkg_delete -v rtty-3.2
 * Change working directory to /usr/local
 * Attempting to delete directory `/usr/local/rtty' as a file
 * This packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request.
 *
 * Oops.  Actually, this is a bug in pkg_delete. :-)
 *
 * I'd always intended that entries specified that way should be
 * deletable, be they files or directories, and somewhere along the way I
 * must have gotten overly paranoid about something else and broken it.
 *
 * What Satoshi's done also just moves the problem down one level, as a
 * pkg_delete with his version of the port installed will show:
 *
 * root@time-> pkg_delete -v rtty-3.2
 * Change working directory to /usr/local
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/ttysrv
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/rtty
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/locbrok
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/Startup
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/console
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/startsrv
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/agelogs
 * Delete file /usr/local/rtty/bin/agelog
 * Attempting to delete directory `/usr/local/rtty/dev' as a file
 * This packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request.
 *
 * Attempting to delete directory `/usr/local/rtty/sock' as a file
 * This packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request.
 *
 * Attempting to delete directory `/usr/local/rtty/log' as a file
 * This packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request.
 *
 * Attempting to delete directory `/usr/local/rtty/pid' as a file
 * This packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request.
 *
 * Attempting to delete directory `/usr/local/rtty/opt' as a file
 * This packing list is incorrect - ignoring delete request.
 *
 * So I think I'm really going to have to just fix the bug. :-) Someone
 * in the NetBSD camp added a @dirrm directive as a work-around, but I
 * think I'd rather solve the problem than further propagate the kludge
 * by using it.

I thought you knew about this bug for a long time. :)

Anyway, my change has little (if anything) to do with this bug itself.
I've always been uncomfortable about having packing lists that don't
have the list of files installed.  (There is an issue of your new
checksum-per-file thing too -- how's it going to work on a PLIST like
"rtty" ?)

What I'd really like to see is pkg_create actually expanding the
subdirectories in the packing list.  (Of course this could be done by
pkg_add, but since pkg_create is the one that generates checksums,
it's better if it's expanded before that.)

That way we can safeguard against deleting files users added,
installed by different ports, etc., and also shorten a lot of PLISTs
considerably.

It will also be nice if you can finally add a "fake-package" target to
pkg_create so that we can take that hack out of bsd.port.mk, and also
generate a "real" +CONTENTS file with all the checksums and stuff. :)

Satoshi