Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:42:56 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linksys ethernet snafu

"Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:

> I just got a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC card NIC (Model PCM100)
> for my laptop.  It works just fine on switches (10 or 100), but
> fails on hubs.
>
> As near as I can determine, it's just not auto-negotiating the duplex
> right, and defaulting itself to full-duplex.  Gives me a solid 9k/sec
> over 10mbit  :(
>
> Double unfortunately, it gets grabbed by the ed driver, which means I
> dont' have a way through ifconfig to smack it to half-duplex manually.
> Any ideas on how to get it to negotiate right, or just force it down
> to half-duplex?

Well, I don't have a card that uses ed to test with,  but of the
machines I can test on (with interfaces drivers vr and fxp) you
can switch between 10 and 100, half and full with ifconfig using
the media and mediaopt options.

For example,
# ifconfig vr0
vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::250:baff:fe69:38c%vr0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 192.168.64.8 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.64.255
        ether 00:50:ba:69:03:8c
        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP none

The last line shows me the media types that the driver supports, the
2nd to last line tells me that it is configured for autoselect and
has selected 100baseTX half-duplex.

If I wanted to force it to full-duplex, I would do

# ifconfig vr0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

and I can check the results with,

vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::250:baff:fe69:38c%vr0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 192.168.64.8 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.64.255
        ether 00:50:ba:69:03:8c
        media: 100baseTX <full-duplex> status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP none

RTFM ifconfig for gory details :-)

> "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is because I
>       haven't figured out how to light the middle yet"

I like it. If you figure out how to light the middle (with out a blow
torch) please let me know :-)

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited