Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 22:05:51 +0000
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@mts-104.wallnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell PE 2400 hangs in multi-user

Dell PE 2400  512MB RAM, single PII processor running 4.6 RC (cvsupped an=
d=20
built today).

In single-user mode,all is well with this server, I can add/delete files,=
 make=20
buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel, reboot (into single-use=
r=20
mode), etc.  All is well.

When I boot into multi-user mode, the system hanges if I start any script=
s in=20
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, I cannot ssh into the box, I can telnet, but any com=
mand=20
I issue that involves a write to the hard drive hangs the system. =20
Additionally, if I issue a reboot command, the tty I type it on hangs.=20
issuing a "top" on another tty shows "reboot" queued and waiting for=20
god-knows-what.  A 'shutdown now'  stops all processes but never drops th=
e=20
machine to "syncing disks" and the machine needs a brute force power off/=
on=20
to shutdown/restart.

I rebuilt the world. the kernel, installed the new kernel and the new wor=
ld=20
this morning --no change.  I yanked out the hard drive, put in another,=20
installed 4.5-RELEASE from CD, and the machine has been happily running i=
n=20
multi-user mode all day and all night.

What on earth could be wrong?  I'm going to put the original drive back i=
n the=20
box tomorrow morning and dump the whole thing to my tape drive (there is =
a=20
lot of stuff on that drive --mysql databases, mostly-- that I'd hate to l=
ose.

Any ideas, pointers or references are welcome; I'm having trouble=20
comprehending this one.

TIA

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT