Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:08:26 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP --> NORMAL KERNEL on a dual proc machine [HELP]

Hello

I am running :

FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE-p2 (SMP)

on a

ASUS CUV4X-DLS Dual Processors motherboard (With 2 processors)
which had a onboard 'fxp' network card

in my PCI slots I have :

1 ATM adapter Forerunner PCA200E-SMF 155Mbps
1 DLINK 500SX Gigabit Ethernet adapter

With this configuration I have several problems some of which
may or may not be SMP related but I can't really tell so I need your
help.

1) the "lge" driver hangs sometimes for unknown reason
2) the "hfa" driver will do the same(and interested people
can looks at the atm@freebsd.org mailing list for details I have posted)

3) In order to see if these problem where SMP related I proceeded to switch
my KERNEL to non SMP

  a) After recompiling my KERNEL to non SMP (standard kernel) my 2 PCI based
     network card (lge0) and (hfa0) refused to work , they are detected at boot
     time , and get configured properly , but no network traffic goes thru (apart
     from pinging the IP of the interface itself.

   b) when recompiling in SMP kernel mode , everything works as before

   c) when recompiling in NON SMP KERNEL mode and removing a processor physically
      (replacing it with the needed tab (terminator)) it won't work just as in point (a)

I am at a loss , I do not understand what is going on, I can't believe anything else than the
kernel (and maybe modules) need to be recompiled in order to work properly.

What should I do ?

Christophe Prevotaux      Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine   Direct: +33 (0)3 26 61 77 72
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center