Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 16:05:57 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Nikhil Mittal" <nikhil@east.isi.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "freebsd-stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 4.5-stable ???

> From: "Nikhil Mittal" <nikhil@east.isi.edu>
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:07:40 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello,
> Just now i finished updating my source to 4.x-stable. Currently i am running
> 4.5-release.
> As i was going thru the "UPDATING" file, do i need to compile the new kernel
> first before doing make world ?? Also how do i create a rescue disk ??
> Please suggest other cautions too!

Well, you started well by reading UPDATING.

Next, read the handbook sections on updating your system. In brief:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_CONFIG_NAME
               (config file should be in /sys/i386/conf/YOUR_CONFIG_NAME)
Reboot to single-user mode (This will load the newly built kernel)
fsck -p (OK. Yes, I am paranoid!)
mount -a -t ufs
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster (Let mergemaster run MAKEDEV and rebuild databases if it asks.)
Reboot normally

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)